With the amount of information available, it is important to adopt healthy practices. People often ask me, what are some of your best social media tips? Here is what I tell them:
- Practice good social behavior. Just like in real life, be social and use your manners! In addition to posting content, remember retweeting, sharing content from others, or telling someone thank you for taking the time to give you a like, comment or compliment.
- Listen and learn. Think about what people are posting, and why. This is your chance to contribute and to help others. Can you solve a problem? Can you see patterns and trends that give you insight?
- Do more than post. Interact and start a conversation with others. Conversations turn into relationships. Relationships turn in to sales and referrals. Don’t forget to listen! (see #2) Remember, some of the best content you can give is helpful advice with no strings attached.
- Pay attention. Go slowly. Use spell check. Think about how your message will be perceived. Stay active and treat social media like a relationship.
- Measure, analyze, and revise. Pay attention to what is happening and what is working. What isn’t working is just as valuable as what is working. Social media changes every day, so be prepared to adapt and change your processes if necessary.
- Stay informed. It is important to stay on top of the every changing world of social media! We love http://mashable.com/ and http://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/.
- Act like a boy/girl scout. This means to be prepared and to focus on what works. You can create your own code of conduct.
If you are using it correctly, there are countless ways to use social media to your advantage. It can teach you valuable lessons about the world and help you stay connected with others. Social media has changed the way people communicate and share information and these tips can help make social media work for you!
Trackback from your site.